News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Finally set up my 2box

Started by HM, April 28, 2010, 05:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HM

Today I finally got my 2box to my apartment and set everything up. It felt like Christmas when opening all those boxes! However, I had a small problem with the rack; one of the L-rods was too big to fit any of the toms. Luckily aluminium is rather soft and I had some sand paper.

I was amazed at how well everything triggered with factory settings. I think reading this forum gives way too negative picture of the triggering. I did not have any problems with the bass drum but I never leave the beater on the drumhead on acoustic drums either, maybe that is the reason.

The hi-hat, though, was a bit problematic. I had to calibrate it several times to get it to work, and it could still be better. I have to continue experimenting with that. I found out that the cymbals cross-trigger only if I hit the tom rims very hard, but I'm not really planning to do that, so that's no problem for me. For any recording, though, I will definitely use separate cymbal stands.

Here are some pictures of my setup. In my one-room apartment, I have very limited space but I could nicely fit the set in there. The 2box snare stand wasn't very rigid so I chose to use a separate stand. I also use my former pedals and hi-hat stand.

Baby Samus

Quote from: HM on April 28, 2010, 05:39:47 PM
Today I finally got my 2box to my apartment and set everything up. It felt like Christmas when opening all those boxes! However, I had a small problem with the rack; one of the L-rods was too big to fit any of the toms. Luckily aluminium is rather soft and I had some sand paper.

I was amazed at how well everything triggered with factory settings. I think reading this forum gives way too negative picture of the triggering. I did not have any problems with the bass drum but I never leave the beater on the drumhead on acoustic drums either, maybe that is the reason.

Congrats HM, looks the business.  Give it a few days and tweak the settings, you'll find it will play even better once you're used to it.  Good to see you have been sensible and used a proper snare stand, a proper hi-hat clutch and base pedal.

It's the first piece of advice I'd give to any 2Box owner - replace the 2Box hardware (snare stand, hi-hat clutch and basedrum pedal) with proper hardware - it makes the 2Box a far better instrument to play.

TrommelTheo

Nice fitting in your Room  :rock:

and nice Web-Side, you re looking (see LCD) :patbat2box:

Theo

puttenvr

HM

Baby Samus, TrommelTheo, puttenvr: Thank you for your positive comments!

jopes

Hehe, yes. You did really fit it well in your room and it looks nice. Makes me kind of drool to look at that. I've had a little probs getting my kit, but i will get it some day! And hey, nice curtains

UC

Aye, kit looks well at home!

Nice webpage you've got loaded up there too :)

Drumisan

Hi HM,

Seems you've got Genelec speakers on your desk. Did you try how it sound with the 2box ?

puttenvr

Those computer speakers?
Beware not to blow them up

HM

Quote from: Drumisan on May 04, 2010, 06:09:49 PM
Hi HM,
Seems you've got Genelec speakers on your desk. Did you try how it sound with the 2box ?

I tried carefully with the speakers and the 2box sounds great. Of course bass drums are not very well reproduced with 4.5" speakers. Anyway, I mostly play through my headphones at home, and I simply love the way everything sounds. I must say I'm very happy that I bought the 2box instead of a TD-9.

I noticed that there is some noise in the samples, probably because of the way they are recorded. I can't think of any situation where this might be a problem, but I was a bit surprised. In these days of digital recording, one usually does not have much noise.

I also bought a Thomann MA1220 monitor for the 2box, I will try that live next Wednesday. I'll tell you guys how it performs.