News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Blinking lights when connecting headphones

Started by masteroid, June 19, 2014, 05:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masteroid

Hello fellow e-drummers!

When I plug my headphones into my 2box Drum-It Five module, the drum signal lights (kick, snare, toms, etc.) start to blink rapidly and I only hear loud hum on the headphones. I have tried several other headphones and keep having the same problem. Can anyone help me with this?

edtc

contact 2box directly... looks like a serious problem ..

hemiboy

Are you using a jack adapter for your headphone input? If so, it could be bad. If not, there is definitely a i connection or wire in your headphone  input or other imputs.Indide  the module, each input is fastened with a nut which could have spun loose or possibly it was never tightened properly from the factory. Obviously if you don't want to open your  module and look yourself you need to deal with 2 box and warranty claim this problem . I use headphones that are 1/8 so  I use a 1/4 adapter to plug into my module imput. I had to replace 2 already and my symptoms were the same as you described. Let us know  what your problem was!

masteroid

Okay, I will contact 2box after this weekend and post a reply when I get some more info. Thanks for your replies!

hemiboy

So, curious, did you check your connections and inputs? For the lights to be flashing it has to be something obvious. What about your headphones . Are you using a jack adapter or are your headphones 1/4 inch like your headphone input on your module?

masteroid

My main headphones are Audio Technica - ATH-M50:
http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=39&prodID=266

So there is no jack adapter. And I have tried other headphones, with and without a jack adapter. I vacuum cleaned the inputs before I posted this topic because I thought there might be some crap in there. I have tried changing the wires from other drum parts to see if a wire was faulty. I also unplugged every other wire and only left the snare to see if it works alone. I tried all the other outputs too (Out1-Out6).

The weird thing to me is that the blinking lights are not random, it has a pattern (or so I believe). I will post a video about it later.

masteroid

Here's the video. It's pretty short, but you get the idea :)
http://videobam.com/rKYet

Edit:
Here's the same video in Vimeo, I bit more reliable than VideoBam:
https://vimeo.com/99400945

hemiboy

Wow, I just watched the video, very strange! Yeah, unless  you want to pop the module open and check the connections inside yourself, I guess  it's warranty time! This is the time I heard or saw anything like that with 2 box . I saw a lot of different nitemares  with Alesis

masteroid

While I was searching for the receipt to check for warranty period, I found another receipt which said that the module had been repaired previously. The previous owner had sent the module back to the firm he/she bought the drums because the module had some kind of malfunction. The receipt didn't describe the problem in detail, but it did say that the SD card was faulty and had been replaced.

So I called the firm and asked for more details so I could send it there again for repairs, even though my warranty period had expired. They told me that they have summer holidays so it'll take a month and it costs 97 euros / hour.

I wasn't going to spend that much money only to change an SD card, so I popped the module open (using instructions found on this forum) and I changed the SD card, since I found one laying around. The new card was the same as the old one, except it was made by Kingston. I tried it out, with no success.

- How do I check the connections?
- If I post a bunch of pictures here, could you check them to see if anything is broken?
- Does 2box have extended warranty period? (For example my rode microphone has 30-year-warranty from the manufacturer)
- It seems the module was updated to version 1.26 firmware, should I try the original firmware?
- Where could I obtain the original 1.20 version firmware?

hemiboy

Sounds like a question for Jman or Fulmr. But I am sure it can be done . If you can't get an answer from those  guys,  2 box will walk you thru it . As far as the connections go carefully open the module case  again as you have already  done before and first check the hex nuts that  go around the input housings . Also look at your factory solders and make  sure everything is okI don't believe that is your problem, though. But rule out the simple stuff first. And check all other connections and are there any cracks or tears in the circuit board . Was it disclosed to you that this  was used and had a problem before you got it, supposedly fixed or not? If not,  maybe  have any grounds for recourse such as replacement, a fix, or better yet, money back. As far as 2 box goes , don't tell them you have opened the module yourself. Just hoping you can catch a break for a simple fix! Hoping you get lucky!

Jman

Quote from: masteroid on June 24, 2014, 05:30:10 PM
While I was searching for the receipt to check for warranty period, I found another receipt which said that the module had been repaired previously. The previous owner had sent the module back to the firm he/she bought the drums because the module had some kind of malfunction. The receipt didn't describe the problem in detail, but it did say that the SD card was faulty and had been replaced.

So I called the firm and asked for more details so I could send it there again for repairs, even though my warranty period had expired. They told me that they have summer holidays so it'll take a month and it costs 97 euros / hour.

I wasn't going to spend that much money only to change an SD card, so I popped the module open (using instructions found on this forum) and I changed the SD card, since I found one laying around. The new card was the same as the old one, except it was made by Kingston. I tried it out, with no success.

- How do I check the connections?
- If I post a bunch of pictures here, could you check them to see if anything is broken?
- Does 2box have extended warranty period? (For example my rode microphone has 30-year-warranty from the manufacturer)
- It seems the module was updated to version 1.26 firmware, should I try the original firmware?
- Where could I obtain the original 1.20 version firmware?
It sounds like the module might have been one of the batch discussed here:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=457.30
But I don't remember ever seeing a problem like you are having on any threads I've seen. I doubt that the problem is with the SD card, but if you plan to change the card to start with to be sure not just any card will work. This thread lists the original 4GB cards and the 32GB cards we have used in the extender mod:  http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1136.0
If you are going to load a new card you might want to download everything new from here:  http://www.hyperactive.de/support/2box  That way if your current card is corrupt you won't be simply copying the problems from one card to the next. One thing about loading a new card with files is you need to be sure the Drumit.dkit, DrumitInit.dkit, and the Drumit126.bin files all go to the Root of the card, not inside the folder. Otherwise the module will not boot.
On your current module/card what is the Boot number from the Unit Info page of the module?
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

masteroid

QuoteAs far as the connections go carefully open the module case  again as you have already  done before and first check the hex nuts that  go around the input housings . Also look at your factory solders and make  sure everything is okI don't believe that is your problem, though. But rule out the simple stuff first. And check all other connections and are there any cracks or tears in the circuit board.

I didn't notice anything when I first opened the unit, but you are right, I will go over the unit once more =)

QuoteBut I don't remember ever seeing a problem like you are having on any threads I've seen. I doubt that the problem is with the SD card, but if you plan to change the card to start with to be sure not just any card will work. This thread lists the original 4GB cards and the 32GB cards we have used in the extender mod:  http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1136.0

I saw the topic before and checked that my Kingston card was the same speed and size, and it worked the same way as the "original" card (I say "original" because I mean that the card was changed by the previous owner). Anyways, I still have the same blinking problem with the unit.

QuoteIf you are going to load a new card you might want to download everything new from here:  http://www.hyperactive.de/support/2box  That way if your current card is corrupt you won't be simply copying the problems from one card to the next. One thing about loading a new card with files is you need to be sure the Drumit.dkit, DrumitInit.dkit, and the Drumit126.bin files all go to the Root of the card, not inside the folder. Otherwise the module will not boot.

I formatted both cards, the "original" and the Kingston card. I downloaded and transferred those basic files from http://www.hyperactive.de to both cards and tried them out without success. I also tried the 1.26 version (hyperactive.de version was 1.24).

QuoteOn your current module/card what is the Boot number from the Unit Info page of the module?

My friend will visit me next week to check the unit out. I also contacted a company that does repairs for these, but I haven't got an answer yet. I will post more when I get some answers =)

fishmonkey

it looks more like a hardware problem...

hemiboy

Masteroid,  whatever happened with your module/ headphone/blinking lite problem from a couple of weeks ago? Was it a hardware problem or something else?

masteroid

My friend came to see the problem, but he was as baffled as I was. I have to send it somewhere for repairs, but I haven't got an answer from the second firm I contacted. The first firm I contacted have the holidays now... Repairing the module will take a while, but I will post it here, whatever happens :)