New user How to connect roland 3 zone cymbal? Hihat open/close responsiveness

Started by legoflamb, April 22, 2013, 12:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legoflamb

Hi guys I'm a new 2box user - I only have the module instructions and it refers to some more instructions about connections .

I've got a mix of jobeky drums, roland pads and roland cymbals.

One of the cymbals is 2 zone with one stereo cable connected - is this right? I'm finding it difficult to get the different sounds out out of it but they are there. Just wondering the best way to set these up?

One of them is a 3 zone one and again I know all the sounds are there but I can only make it trigger 2 most of the time (bell and edge) what's the best way to get it to differentiate between the bow and bell?

Also, I have this connected with 1 stereo cable (bow and edge) and one normal cable for the bell. they're plugged into cymbal 2 and 3 on the 2box module. Is this right?

Just a small issue with the hihat as well - it's not very easy to do open to closed sound. I read somewhere my hihat spring might not have enough tension and it's not opening all the way fast enough for the module to recognise it. Is there any settings I can try without having to change hihat stand?

Thanks for your help!

Jman

Quote from: legoflamb on April 22, 2013, 12:35:51 PM
Hi guys I'm a new 2box user - I only have the module instructions and it refers to some more instructions about connections .

I've got a mix of jobeky drums, roland pads and roland cymbals.

One of the cymbals is 2 zone with one stereo cable connected - is this right? I'm finding it difficult to get the different sounds out out of it but they are there. Just wondering the best way to set these up?

One of them is a 3 zone one and again I know all the sounds are there but I can only make it trigger 2 most of the time (bell and edge) what's the best way to get it to differentiate between the bow and bell?

Also, I have this connected with 1 stereo cable (bow and edge) and one normal cable for the bell. they're plugged into cymbal 2 and 3 on the 2box module. Is this right?

Just a small issue with the hihat as well - it's not very easy to do open to closed sound. I read somewhere my hihat spring might not have enough tension and it's not opening all the way fast enough for the module to recognise it. Is there any settings I can try without having to change hihat stand?

Thanks for your help!

All 3 cymbal inputs on the 2Box module use the same type of cymbal. 2Box cymbals are Piezo/Switch cymbals. The sound of the Bell or Bow is the same piezo, but the Bell sound is activated at higher velocities. 2Box cymbals have the piezo in the Bell, so naturally when you hit the Bell it will activate easier since your highest velocities will be right over the piezo. Likewise the Bow sound on the 2Box cymbal is activated pretty consistently when hitting the bow because you are striking further away from the piezo which normally means lower velocity detected. Roland 2 zone cymbals will work as 3 zone cymbals with the 2Box module, but be aware that if you hit hard on the bow you will get the bell sound. You can change the Pad type in the 2Box module to CyEdg for your Roland crashes and then they will act like 2 zone cymbals, no bell sound, just Bow Edge and choke .... if you prefer.

For the Roland 3 zone Ride, don't bother connecting both cables as this will be a total snafu, connect one cable to the Bell side jack, labeled Rd E or Bow/Bell if I remember right. Then set the pad type to CyCup. That should give you Bow/Bell sounds, plus you will get good separation between bow and bell sounds, more accurate than the velocity switched type sounds I mentioned earlier. You will not get the edge zone on the Ride that way, but that is something most could live without. At least that would be my suggestion.

Besides doing the HH calibrations and playing with that ... check your manual .... a strong HH stand is critical and has been posted about over and over.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

legoflamb

Hi Jman - thanks so much for your help!

That was well explained and I haven't seen that info anywhere else.

I do have another cymbal I can attach I just need another clamp that fill fit on a roland td9 rack. I can live without the 3rd zone which is just set as another crash at the min anyway.

I have another hi-hat stand that my friend is borrowing so I'll see if I can make the action 'quicker' on mine or do a swapsy.

legoflamb

Ok all sounds good but I'm struggling to get differentiation with regards to where I'm hitting the cymbal but if I hit the cymbal more lightly I get the bow sounds and normal ones seem to get the bell sounds.

Any handy tips for making it respond properly?

Interestingly with only one cable connected I'm still able to hit the edge as well.

Jman

Quote from: legoflamb on April 29, 2013, 12:47:21 PM
Ok all sounds good but I'm struggling to get differentiation with regards to where I'm hitting the cymbal but if I hit the cymbal more lightly I get the bow sounds and normal ones seem to get the bell sounds.

Any handy tips for making it respond properly?

Interestingly with only one cable connected I'm still able to hit the edge as well.
Well, it is a velocity switched system like I mentioned above, harder hits trigger bell sounds, lighter hits bow sounds, so if you are using Roland CY-14C or CY-8, etc., 2zone type cymbals for crashes your best bet is to change the trigger type to CYEg, that eliminates the bell sound altogether. For the Ride, if you have a 3zone Roland cymbal, set it up as I mentioned above to get good Bow and Bell distinction.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/